Your go-to module(s)

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
I know a lot of us have more modules than we need...Yes, I am included in that group....And proud...

Anyway, what modules do you use as a benchmark for gauging others?

For High Gain- Mine is the Salvado Deluxe...That thing can hit so many tones it's amazing and with a touch of external EQ can virtually duplicate several other modules...It's got a perfect tone to my ear- tight, balanced, thick, and just awesome...
Anyway, when I get a new high gain module, the first thing I do is A/B it with Salvado Dlx and start playing with the EQ...

For mid gain tones it the SG MK22...Simply the perfect plexi....Yes, PERFECT...

For clean(ish) tones- it be my self-modded Clean...No breakup, deep tone...The poor thing has been thru hell but has come out shining...For my taste of course...

Anyway, what do yous guys use and why?

Right now here's what I have in my two RM4's:

First RM4:

High Gain: JF The Pitt
Mid to High: JF 1959RR
Mid Gain: JF Recto
Clean: Brahma

Second RM4:

High Gain: Hilly Scorch
Mid to High: JF Mark X
Mid Gain: JF Modern
Clean: Blackface

Hi Gain: 1) Salvado Deluxe. 2) Mash-oldano. 3) Voodoo HG Jose

Mid Gain: 1) SG MKII. 2) JF 59RR. 3) GM Modern.

Clean: 1) Salvation Loneclean. 2) JF Blackface. 3) Salvation Stoner AD.

These are subject to change as often as I like... and they do.

High gain: JF Brahma
Mid gain: JF Brahma
Clean: KH1 because it's the only clean I have.

I will say that when a specific tone is needed that my SG Fisch, JF Scary, and stock SL+ do get the nod but the Brahma is the overall winner.

High gain: EG5
Mid gain: EG3
Clean: BMAN

BMAN is the benchmark for the whole rig. I have a VX but greatly prefer the fat fender clean at the moment. Eg3 is my go to rock tone. Just enough gain with a ton of articulation. It loves big open chords. The 5 is my buzz saw palm muted, dissonant chord, slice your head off distorted tone. cuts like nothing I've ever heard.

Hi Gain - Scary (SL+ is close 2nd)
Mid Gain - Judge
Clean - Currently without a clean, but from the ones I had I would say the stock Clean

Lots of different situations, lots of choices:

Live > rm100KH:
JTM: clean to mid gain
Mamba: brutal rhythm
S1S0: hi gain leads, occassional midgain tones

studio direct tones> 11R
(when family is asleep)
JF Mark X
Salvo Manderine Stonerverb
Gigmods SL+

studio: loud mic
Stonerverb
Angel
Gigmods Blackface

Strat set up:
Gigmods Blackface
Gigmods Tweed

Just finished a session with my JF SL+. I might have to edit my list. Wow, it really *&$%$#@ rocked!

I haven't sprung for any modded modules yet, so here's my go-to RM4 setup (all stock black face-plate modules):

Hi-Gain: Ultra
Mid-Gain: Tweed and 1086
Lo-Gain: Blackface
Ro-Gain: Large plastic bottle

some interesting selections for sure here...I like my Kranken,Stonerverb and the Randall clean...but really for high gain stuff you cannot go worng with any Salvation module in my opinion....

For me it's the Salvation Custom3 - I actually own two of them & never have less than one occupying a slot in the RM4. Most of the time I have both of them in there & swap my other 10 mods (yes, I have too many :lol:) out of the other two slots.

Why? Because it has my "go to" metal rhythm sounds whether I'm using a Eb-tuned 6-string or a B-tuned 7. The thing I like best is that I can flick the Dave/Marty switch to get two totally different sounds that are both great without needing to tweak any other controls.

Clean to light OD - Gigmods Plexi/Brown w/gain stage taken out of Plexi side.

Overdrive - Gigmods Plexi/Brown w/gain stage taken out of Plexi side & Analogman modded TS-9

Light to medium distortion - Voodoo Sear, Gigmods Recto & Plexi/Brown.

Heavy Rhythm - Gigmods Recto, Voodoo Sear.

Lead - Voodoo Sear.

After lots of different modules, I tend to keep the Marshall based stuff.

Got a JF 1959RR on order. Very excited to try this out and see where it fits!

In my RM4 I go with:
1. KH Clean
2. Friedman Plexi
3. Voodoo Recto
4. Hilly Scorch

Ampoholic said:
Got a JF 1959RR on order. Very excited to try this out and see where it fits!

I'm betting you're going to love it. It's a really great module. I flip back and forth from that and my Salvation Mash-all+. Sure, the Mash-all+ has tons of switches and such, but so does the 59RR. And, well, simply put, I love the tone that comes out of 59RR. It's a darn nifty Marshall module.

My current go-to(s) are:
My Sacred Groove Deluxe
For Super cleans and a really cool gain. Think of Skynyrd
back in the Mace days!
My XTC
For mid to high gain. Great Stocker. Has the right amount
of bite for heavy blues to metal.
My Jaded Faith MKII 59RR
Great classic mid gains to modern 80s,90s and todays
rock and metal tones.

Egnater SL and SL2......fantastic rhythm tones.

I have a MK22 inbound from Scott. It's going to be great to contrast his Marshall tones against those in the SL's.....Maybe its time to wire my preamps in stereo..... :lol: 8)

IMO, the BEST thing about the MTS modules is that I no longer have a "go to" amp.

If I'm going for a Marshall tone, I have BE, the SG MK22, the SG Fisch and in some cases, the Stonerverb. For heavier tones, the Mamba, SG Rectifier and Angel are all amazing and nothing is finer than the Salvation LoneClean when it comes to Fender/Boogie tones.

There have been times when composing tracks that a module I've chosen hasn't "worked" for the track as well as another similar module. I had a track in which I tried the Angel, the Fisch and the Mamba and for some reason, the Mamba just killed in the track. They're all high gainers but certainly have different characteristics.

I currently own 10 modified modules but even that's not enough. Sacred Groove is working with me another "Limited Edition" module that will absolutely kick ***.

I love that with the MTS series, the tonal possibilities are nearly endless! So in short, they're all my go to modules. :D