Any TS808 users?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattfig

Reaction score
Do you guys just throw it first in the chain? Mine is a modded TS9 that is exact TS808 only with a true bypass...So I guess that would be OK...I would just try it but I don't have it yet and am simply wondering if anyone out there digs 'em with their MTS rig....

Thanks!

Depends on what you have further. My chain(s) are

Guitar > Wah > Whammy > TS-808 > Amp >(Send-Return) Volume > Multi Effects for Chours, Delay, Reverb and such < Amp > Talk Box > PA and speakers.

My reason is simple. The Wah changes tone color, the Whammy pitch. Just as you have the tone controls and the strings before the overdrive my opinion is that you have other tone color/pitch control before the overdrive.

Guitar > Fuzz 1 > Fuzz 2 > Treble Boost > Wah > TS808 RI (buffer) > EQ > Amp. Rest is rack stuff in the loop.

Currently I'm going

Guitar > Boss Tuner > Morley Wah > Boss Noise Suppressor w/ BBE Green Screamer in that loop > Amp

I've also tried the Boss DS-1 but don't like it. I've got a MXR Wylde OD on the way but I'm also curious about the TS808, Maxon OD808 and Fulltone OCD.

Has anyone here tried an MXR Micro Amp, or an MXR/CAE MC-401? I'm wondering if a pure clean boost--without a clipping circuit--might be the best (that is, most transparent) way to set an already-dirty preamp ablaze. I really like my old Boss OD-1, but it tends to be a bit "over the top" when used in conjunction with a high-gain module. It also cuts a fair amount of bass, which isn't always desirable.

OK...Gonna sound stupid...Never had a tube screamer but have owned a lot of high gain **** pedals...Always figured the screamer was the same thing...Was I ever wrong...I have a TS9 modded to TS808 specs with true bypass and just love the extra push it gives when you're gettin' down 'n' dirty...That is all...

Tubescreamer type pedals are designed for leads. When you're playing a lead or solo you can cut bass and tighten the signal and you'll cut through the mix better.

Rising Farce said:
Has anyone here tried an MXR Micro Amp, or an MXR/CAE MC-401? I'm wondering if a pure clean boost--without a clipping circuit--might be the best (that is, most transparent) way to set an already-dirty preamp ablaze. I really like my old Boss OD-1, but it tends to be a bit "over the top" when used in conjunction with a high-gain module. It also cuts a fair amount of bass, which isn't always desirable.

MXR micro amp is a great pedal for juicing the front end of these modules. Very transparent and not distortion-just more signal.

I run a ts-9 dx in the normal position. I run it constantly. Tone heaven.

guitar>Wah>boss tuner>ts-9>ISP Decimator

james.fugate said:

Do you find it makes certain modules sound very similar doing that? I've been experimenting with leaving mine on sometimes for things other than solos but am finding that while I totally love the boost it gives, it deteriorates the individuality of many modules...Do you run yours soft with just a little edge, or do you put it balls to the wall?

Rising Farce said:
Sounds like the Micro Amp/OD-1 combo might be what I'm looking for. Should the overdrive go first in the chain, followed by the clean boost?

I do it the other way. MXR first. Some people use it as an "on all the time" pedal so it works best that way when it simulates a hotter signal coming out of our guitar.

Mattfig said:
james.fugate said:

Do you find it makes certain modules sound very similar doing that? I've been experimenting with leaving mine on sometimes for things other than solos but am finding that while I totally love the boost it gives, it deteriorates the individuality of many modules...Do you run yours soft with just a little edge, or do you put it balls to the wall?

I play heavier styles. So I run my gain at about noon or less and then run the ts-9 at 9 oclock or less. Depending on what i'm going for. I haven't experimented a lot with it. I mostly just run it on top of the SL+. I'll check it out with the Treadplate. I'm feeling it would be pointless to try with the modern or ultra. Maybe not though.

I don't know if anyone else has tried one, but I use a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive pedal in front of my RM100 and my MOD 50. It sort of acts like both a booster and/or a TS - has an additional "Clean" knob so you can gain up just your clean signal or introduce the TS mid-hump for solos. I actually use a little of both - half pedal gain signal and half amp signal boosted. If you have a chance to try one, give it a whirl. They are spectacular.

-OT

OldTimer said:
I don't know if anyone else has tried one, but I use a Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive pedal in front of my RM100 and my MOD 50. It sort of acts like both a booster and/or a TS - has an additional "Clean" knob so you can gain up just your clean signal or introduce the TS mid-hump for solos. I actually use a little of both - half pedal gain signal and half amp signal boosted. If you have a chance to try one, give it a whirl. They are spectacular.

-OT

That sounds cool and I've read alot of the threads mentioning the benefits of a clean boost....Having both in one pedal sounds nice...

As a follow-up to my earlier post(s), I just picked up a used Keeley Katana, and I couldn't be happier. The pedal doesn't add any extra distortion, and there's no annoying mid spike to speak of. Rather, it simply provides an enhanced, more touch-sensitive version of the amp's natural tone. Brilliant! I strongly suspect it will be taking the place of my overdrive pedal on a permanent basis.

I run a TS808 in my rig as well. I used to use it heavily when I had my 2 channel triple recto. I dialed the ts808 with gain around 7:00, tone at 10:00, and level around 2:30 (KsE settings) and boy did it tighten up the trip recto like a nice pair of jean on a fat ***.

I currently don't use it as much now in my RM100 but that's basically cause I'm still figuring out the Benzin and Angel Salvation mods. Don't really wanna mess with the signal yet til I like my settings. I currently run the TS808 in my signal like:

Guitar>Wah>GCX>(in loops: tuner>TS808>G Major>ISP Decimator)>RM100