Mixing tubes...?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burner

Reaction score
So I plan on getting myself a bunch of tubes for my RM100 to test around with..

In theory I'm planing on 2xEL34 and 2x5881/6L6...

What's your experience with this?
What tubes and label(sovtek, JJ)?

Let me know how that works out for you Burner. I wanted to do the same thing with mine......run 2 E34L's and 2 6L6's. I just put an order in for a bunch of preamp tubes at Eurotubes. Ordered 2 sets of ECC83S in high gain fashion for my high gain modules and one set of matched triode ECC83S for my clean module. Pretty excited to check those out and see how they sound. Did you ever get your bias issue squared away with Randall?

I'm running an Integrated Quad (2 el34 and 2 6l6) in my TOL 100 head w/ TOS Mod. I love it. I can't really describe the difference between that and 4 same tubes. It's something you'll have to try for yourself to see.

trendkill1168 said:
Did you ever get your bias issue squared away with Randall?

Yes after the last time waiting from april 4 I got it back.
They replaced the main PCB board in it, took **** load of time to get that one to Sweden..
Most of the time because they manage to **** things up along the way with missunderstands between Randall US and the Swedish reseller..
I had to contact the CO/President for thew company in Sweden to get the suckers going..

I'll think I test the 6L6/EL34 combo to start with, then later maybe put som new ecc83's in there..

burner said:
trendkill1168 said:
Did you ever get your bias issue squared away with Randall?

Yes after the last time waiting from april 4 I got it back.
They replaced the main PCB board in it, took s*&t load of time to get that one to Sweden..
Most of the time because they manage to f*&k things up along the way with missunderstands between Randall US and the Swedish reseller..
I had to contact the CO/President for thew company in Sweden to get the suckers going..

I'll think I test the 6L6/EL34 combo to start with, then later maybe put som new ecc83's in there..

Well cool man, glad you got it back. Let us know how that mixed combo works out for ya. I might just order a pair of the 6L6's and check them out.

I run two GT E34l's and two GT 6l6GE s in my rm100, which came stock with the 4 e34ls. The difference was amazing much more bass responce and power, still retained the midrange great combo. At first I had the 6l6s on the outside but I just tried them on the inside and they sound a little meaner that way to me.

I highly reccomend it.

just switched from a quad of 6l6's to 2 E34l's (1 and 4) and 2 6l6's (2 and 3) and what a difference that makes. Definately more bite now! Highly recommended!

Hey, cool idea! I'd like to try this too. I have 4 6L6 that came stock in mine(JJ) and just replaced them with 4 JJ E34L's. What are you guys setting your bias at for the 6L6/E34L set?
I currently have the BF,Plexi,XTC,Modern and UltraXL modules.
Thanks!

man i run em' hot. 35 for my 6l6's and 45 for my e34l's. tubes are cheap enough so why not go balls out? this setup sounds killer with the 6l6's on the inside IMO.

Thanks man 8) I'll bump up the E34Ls to 45 and run the 2 6L6's in the middle at 35.
Thanks again! :)

Sweet! I did not see this thread until now so I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I had Ruby EL34's in when I got it last week. I changed the outside to 6L6's, pretty blah. Then all 6L6's and it sounded suprisingly flubby. Then EL34's on the outere, 6L6's in the middle. Now it sounds pretty good. I still wanna try EL34L's. :D

Yep...I have been running a combo of SED Winged C EL34s and TAD 6L6GCs and loving it...For the longest time, I stuck with one or the other...Then one day I flipped a switch in my RT2/50 to run both sides and have yet to turn back....

Sweet! I didn't know I could mix tubes! I assume it works the same for the other RMs right? I have the RM50. I've always wanted to mix tubes but was scared I'd blow my amp.

I've only had the Lynch Box version of the RM50 - but I assume any RM50 will have only two power tubes (rather than four like the RM100 and RT2/50 already mentioned in this thread). If you have 4 power tubes, you can mix matched pairs, but you should not mix within a pair of tubes - you should use a matched pair. Thus if you only have 2 power tubes (like in your RM50), then you're stuck using a pair of identical tubes . . .

HughJasol said:
I've only had the Lynch Box version of the RM50 - but I assume any RM50 will have only two power tubes (rather than four like the RM100 and RT2/50 already mentioned in this thread). If you have 4 power tubes, you can mix matched pairs, but you should not mix within a pair of tubes - you should use a matched pair. Thus if you only have 2 power tubes (like in your RM50), then you're stuck using a pair of identical tubes . . .

This greatly saddens me. :lol:

HughJasol said:

%100 right !

:wink: