Mod my 1086 or go for an XL

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowardm

Reaction score
I have a Blackface, 1086, and David Friedman modded SL+. The SL+ pulls off the Marshall tones pretty well, but I wanted something really high gain. I was thinking of modding the 1086, or selling it for the Ultra XL. I heard the Ultra XL is just amazing, and it would be cheaper for me to just sell the 1086 for the UXL. If a modded 1086 is supposedly THAT much better, I would be up for putting some money into it. Otherwise, I'd like the XL and would potentially mod it in the future.

Not sure exactly what tones I'm looking for. Thrice's album "Fire" comes to mind, but so does Muse (not so much the Diezel tone though). I like Breaking Benjamin's tone too. Thoughts?

I haven't heard the Ultra XL, but i can say that the 1087 is amazing. It is best at low tunings with thick strings. If you don't play in B, C, or even D that often, then i would suggest going for the XL. I've found that when i play with 10 gauge strings tuned to D and above, the 1087 sounds like it is missing something and doesn't sound right to my ears. But when i play with 12's tuned to C, it comes alive. It becomes fuller, stronger, and deeper. It is an extremely unique tone.

The 1666 is also good, but very different from the 1087, according to crankyrayhanky. Here is his comparison of the two:

crankyrayhanky said:
Both off of the 1086 module, the 1666 is Salvation, 1087 Gigmods. I have had both modules and they are nothing alike.

The 1666 has massive chainsaw gain that goes to over the top, thus the noise gate that is built right in (works great too). Very sinister and invokes that teenage angst in me- not for the faint of heart. For extreme metal tones that are still crystal clear, this is a great choice- though it can do a lot more than that, no doubt. Pedals on this one are not needed and often ill-advised.

The 1087 has plenty of gain too, but it's tone seems to have a lot more richer mids to it. All that over the top gain, but no need for a gate is impressive. Don't leave the dials at noon, this beast likes lots of eq dialed in to get the ideal tone. It is a superior lead tone machine, very inspiring. Sounds best with deep drop tunings (C and lower). I like to give a no-gain boost with my ZakkOD to give that extra edge. Pinch harmonics fly off this one more than any other module I've owned. The tone is unique. When playing 2 amps at the same time, my favorite combination is the PeteSL+ and Pete1087- awesome.

I'll put up some comparison clips later on when I get the chance....it's startling how different they are- both excellent in their own ways

So if you play a lot of downtuned stuff, then go for either the 1087 or 1666. If not, then the XL is probably your best bet.

Good Luck.

headown said:
...how can you tell ?
The Ultra XL is also getting real brutal and definied downtuned !

:twisted:
Well i know the 1087 is great for it. I figured the XL was good for both.

I play a half step down sometimes, and sometimes tune my Eb to Db (drop-D half step down). That's about it. I'm thinking XL, anyone else have an opinion?

I have the UXL and its great - I wish it was just a *bit* clearer though. However, cranking up the volume clears things up nicely.

You might also want to check out the KH3, dialed in right it's brutal.

I play mostly in B and drop C, both these modules handle the lows very well.