Modules compared to real amps.

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcole

Reaction score
Was just curious how the modules stack up to real amp when you crank them up live. Was considering getting a 50 or 100 watter and was curious if you still get the balls of a 100 watt Marshall with the modules

I sold my Marshall DSL100 after using a JF 59RR for awhile... not because it was better, necessarily... but because I could copy the tone EXTREMELY close, and it simplified my rig, by allowing me to go all MTS. I also had Blue Voodoo & ADA MP-1 amps that I was able to get rid of, because Jaded Faith duplicated those tones on MTS for me. 8)

I've read that some people hear a slight MTS "fizz", but I can't really say I've ever noticed it...? But then again, I've never had a chance to try a Randall power section, since I've only owned the rack MTS stuff (RM4, and now an M4 is on it's way)...

I've read that some people hear a slight MTS "fizz", but I can't really say I've ever noticed it...? But then again, I've never had a chance to try a Randall power section, since I've only owned the rack MTS stuff (RM4, and now an M4 is on it's way)...

I think they do a good job but don't do the ultimate job. Still prefer the real amps I have to the modules. Modules in a lot of cases are weaker when the gain is dialed back. They get thin and something is definitely lost. Turned up loud, and i mean a lot louder, they get a lot better. I don't play with the module volume on anything lower than 2 pm (7) and the master goes up considerably as well when i want the full experience. Still though, there is a tad fizz there that bugs me and i am close to opening the amp and looking at the values used near the power section to see if a simple cap swap will decrease le fizz.

I have a garage full of cool old amps and if I had a full time tech and a roadie I would probably use them. However as I don't have either, I love the MTS stuff. Some of the mods are **** near perfect, and I attribute the lack of perfection to the power amp I use which is a Carvin TS100. It is switchable, but I use it with 6L6s and it is really **** close to the original sounds, especially the Fenders that I own. I have not used a "real" amp since I discovered this stuff and I am happier than I have ever been with my tone.

ricky said:
I have a garage full of cool old amps and if I had a full time tech and a roadie I would probably use them. However as I don't have either, I love the MTS stuff. Some of the mods are **** near perfect, and I attribute the lack of perfection to the power amp I use which is a Carvin TS100. It is switchable, but I use it with 6L6s and it is really **** close to the original sounds, especially the Fenders that I own. I have not used a "real" amp since I discovered this stuff and I am happier than I have ever been with my tone.

I find Salvation mods to be the closest to the amps they're based on. The StoneVerb and Custom 3 are dead on replicas.

I've put a Mash All next to a real Plexi, a Salvo Xtacy next to a real XTC, and a Stonerverb next to a real Rockerverb.

We're they dead on? No. We're they 90-95%? Yes. Were they just great sounding tube amps nonetheless? Absolutely!

I don't care if it is a perfect replica, but it gets me the flavor, and more importantly, the feel in a professional sounding package at a price that's less than a third of the real deal.

I sold my Bogner and used the cash to buy two mts rigs, some modded modules, and an American Tele. My tone is better and more versatile than it ever was.

A lot depends on the mods you get. Some are better than others but a lot of that is just personal preference. There is no way your going to be a exact match to every amp you want, but a lot of us have found something maybe better or at least much more versatile. And every tube amp sounds it's best at loud volumes. A friend has a budda amp and he thinks my rm50 sounds better at lower volumes than the budda at same volume. Another big plus that is overlooked is no shared eq. The only thing needed to match is the module volumes. That is usually only found on higher end stuff. The rm's were pretty expensive amps when new. Now they are a steal.

I think if you are 100% dedicated to a Diezel, for example...You should just get one...Same goes for any 100% must have tone...MTS is not 100%...It simply cannot be...It's not the same thing...

Having said that, MTS will get you great tones- some spot on, some ballpark...All good....Many great...They consistently perform as well as any amp I've had...I'd take my MTS over most any rig if I had to keep one amp...

So it comes down to what you expect and desire I guess...

As for the wattage...I say 100 will give you the balls...50 will be loud as **** anyway...Might as well get the whole enchilada IMHO....And another module space...

The bottom line is you really can't lose if you know what to expect...You'll find a lot of help here...

I also want to add that when I say Fender Deluxe or Fender Twin, I mean my deluxe and Twin. I have played a butt load of deluxes/twins that don't sound at all like mine. My MTS sounds in the ball park for any of them. My Tweed Bassman is pretty spot on.

There are a ton of clips and videos that prove the MTS line has balls. Lots of great players in the community. My amp has also been reliable and sounds good at lower levels. I am a Marshall fan and get amazing sounds from my Plexi, SL+, and Jaded Faith 59RR Modules - but I can Boogie when I want to.

Forget the term "modeling" The MTS is a good amp, period. May not sound exactly like name on the module, but it is a good sound regardless.

I find myself looking towards versatility more than a specific sound these days. I have a JCM 900 and a Peavy Classic 50 combo. But I love the flexibility the RM's would bring.

From my point of view, I do not consider MTS to be exact clone of the original, but as some good inspirations of them.

I have some amps, (Friedman Brown Eye clone, Bogner Ecstasy, Plexi RR etc) and for home recording, it's really difficult to find the spot point without Neighbour conflict... :lol:
I hope MTS can be real compromise even if they are used with convolution amplification and cabinet for ex.

http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14797&highlight=bogner

This was what sold me on MTS. I can get nearly the same tone from a little rm20 that I could get from my cranked Bogner half stack. In a mix, it's a dead heat.

Basically the Ecstasy is the only amp that would have activated my gas... Before hearing the comparison clips in this thread. I will happily stick with what I have. They are way too similar for my to justify the price gap. Long live my MTS rig.

Now I do have to say this...

That clip was the red channel. It was pretty much spot on with the Salvation. The tone knobs and gain ranges were wider on the Salvation, but most red channel tones could be closely matched.

The blue channel of the real deal is a different beast, but I haven't been able to properly compare, as my Salvation module was an older version with a Shiver switch. I'll eventually get around to having Scott throw his blue magic into the Shiver side, but funds are needed elsewhere.

It should be a great idea and thanks for your comparative, great job! :wink:

I have a 1995 Bogner XTC at home (not the first with white chassis, but one of the first of the current series) and I wait for a Salvation module ordered last week.
I will try to compare both and tell you my impression. :idea: