Questions about the Randall RM100

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brandon9271

Reaction score
hey everybody.. I'm very new to all this MTS stuff (never even played one) but it's got me very interested! I have a few questions though:

Can you run the RM100 in 50-watt mode? In my dual recto I just pull out a pair of tubes and it runs fine. I just half to set the impedence to half of what I normally would but other than that it's no problem.

Can I mix 6l6s and El34s? like a pair of each to get a unique sound?

IN the manual it says when switch channels via MIDI you can either use PC or CC to change but once you use CC it will ignore PC from then on. Does that reset when you switch the power off?

Thanks in advance! Im seriously thinking about selling my Dual Recto to get one of these!

Can you run the RM100 in 50-watt mode? In my dual recto I just pull out a pair of tubes and it runs fine. I just half to set the impedence to half of what I normally would but other than that it's no problem.

You can either pull 2 tubes or load it with JJ 6V6's to get close to 50 watts.

Can I mix 6l6s and El34s? like a pair of each to get a unique sound?

Nope. You can mix but it will blend the 2 sounds together.

IN the manual it says when switch channels via MIDI you can either use PC or CC to change but once you use CC it will ignore PC from then on. Does that reset when you switch the power off?

Resets when you power off.

thanks ned! that's exactly what I was looking for! As far as mixing EL34s and 6l6s is there really an advantage? will it make the amp more versatile or just create an in between sound that sucks? :) I've only ever used 6l6s in my Recto and I think that's what I prefer anyways. I've been told that 6l6s are best for Fender sound or mid scooped, tight bottomed, palm muted metal.. so that has me covered I guess :)

BTW Ned.. how do you like the Recto and XTC modules? I've read some place that the RM100 lacks bottom end but I'm sure that has just as much to do with the Speakers, Cab and power tubes being used..

Been a long time since I played the Recto but the XTC is one of my favorites. You can get low gain, high gain and everything inbetween. I've got a friend with 2 in his RM4.

I believe KT88's are a better way to get inbetween 6L6's and EL34's.

what kind of tubes are you using? KT88s? Im content with 6L6s now but I figure the marshall modules might not sound right without EL34s..

I've got 6V6's in my Randall and Egnater. 3MileStone reports that 5881 are the bomb.

They make me want to scream! No really, they are way cool.

Welcome to the discussion brandon9271. Do you dig your Recto? What kind of sounds are trying to get? I bet the Randall can do it for you. I think these are the best high gain sounds in the world and when you're ready you can transition right into the Egnater stuff, which is even better. RM100 with a DLX, XTC and a Recto would be a cool set up.

For what it's worth, I used to run several Boogies, including a rack mount Mark 4 head, F50, F30, Lonestar, and none of them gave the tones and satisfaction I'm getting from my RM100. I never had an amp where i can literally plug straight into it and get tones that I'm satisfied with.
the right cab combination can kicked this thing into tone nirvana. I love the sound of my Randall MTS 2x12, and Celestions V30s work really well with the RM100.
Tung

i agree with tung. many factors play into the sound. i used to not be a believer in this amp. i thought a sonic maximizer was the answer but until i biased it somewhat hot with 6l6's i have just fallen love with this thing its amzing how big a difference in just a few ma made. for 6l6 bias at 50 ma anything lower didn't seem to compare. the manual recommends 34 or something like that but in my amp 50ma took it from lifeless to crushing in no time.guitar-amp-cab-killer tone

maximus1 said:
i have just fallen love with this thing its amzing how big a difference in just a few ma made. for 6l6 bias at 50 ma anything lower didn't seem to compare. the manual recommends 34 or something like that but in my amp 50ma took it from lifeless to crushing in no time.guitar-amp-cab-killer tone

Glad to see you're gainning faith with the RM100 again. I've owned tons of Boogies, Marshall, Fender, Laney etc, and NONE of these amps ever blew me away like the RM100.
I have a real picky ear for tones and real hard to please. Checked out all the stuff on the market. The RM100 is unrival as far as a mainstream market amp. Now if you're getting into the boutique, that's a different story, a Cornford MK50 has incredible gain tones, but will cost you over 3 times the price.

its official! I just bought an RM100M :) havent got it yet but it was only $785 with Clean, Plexi and XTC modules! :) I really cant believe how cheap these things are going for on ebay now! Even the RM4 RT2/50 setup.. which I'll probably want after I get the RM100 :D so why are they selling so cheap? everybody feeling the Christmas crunch? Is there some new "must have" amp out that stomps the RM100? oh well, I'm excited as hell... not to sure how I'm going to like EL34s but I'll give them a try. How does the Plexi sound through the 6l6s? did the real Plexi have KT66?

most would say the rm100 is beefier sounding than the rack version. i don't know for sure , i play the head and haven't tried the rack version, but i can say that my rm100 is pretty beefy

what I'd really like to see is a mod that make the RM100 50 watts by switching between two duets. so you could switch from say, 6L6s to EL34s like the RM2/50. You could tie it all to the channel switching with relays so when a module was activated it could switch to the appropriate duet. I wonder how an RM4 would sound going through the effects return of the RM100? Then you could have 7 modules with a beefier sound :) I cant wait until I get my RM100.. it sounds like the ultimate "tweakers" amp!

brandon9271 said:
what I'd really like to see is a mod that make the RM100 50 watts by switching between two duets. so you could switch from say, 6L6s to EL34s like the RM2/50. You could tie it all to the channel switching with relays so when a module was activated it could switch to the appropriate duet. I wonder how an RM4 would sound going through the effects return of the RM100? Then you could have 7 modules with a beefier sound :) I cant wait until I get my RM100.. it sounds like the ultimate "tweakers" amp!

RM4 through the effects return of the RM100 or RM50B sounds exactly the same as the amp itself in my experience.

GaryMcT said:
brandon9271 said:

RM4 through the effects return of the RM100 or RM50B sounds exactly the same as the amp itself in my experience.

I owned a couple of RM4s and played them through the Return of Series loop in my RM50HB...I think they sounded a little better than the same module in my RM50HB..tone sounded a little more crisp or something..it might have been a levels thing given that the RM4 has that control as well...it was odd, I just preferred it slightly. :D

JKD said:
GaryMcT said:
brandon9271 said:

I owned a couple of RM4s and played them through the Return of Series loop in my RM50HB...I think they sounded a little better than the same module in my RM50HB..tone sounded a little more crisp or something..it might have been a levels thing given that the RM4 has that control as well...it was odd, I just preferred it slightly. :D

If the master volume on the RM4 is at max, it seems to be equivalent to using amps preamp.

brandon9271 said:
its official! I just bought an RM100M :) havent got it yet but it was only $785 with Clean, Plexi and XTC modules! :) I really cant believe how cheap these things are going for on ebay now! Even the RM4 RT2/50 setup.. which I'll probably want after I get the RM100 :D so why are they selling so cheap? everybody feeling the Christmas crunch? Is there some new "must have" amp out that stomps the RM100? oh well, I'm excited as hell... not to sure how I'm going to like EL34s but I'll give them a try. How does the Plexi sound through the 6l6s? did the real Plexi have KT66?

could you suggest me a honest ebay seller for a RM4 RT2/50 ? :)
thanx

Do a search for the dealers below. All of them are great guys to deal w/. Please keep in mind that all of these are dealers in the USA. I'm guessing that you are purchasing from outside the country and if that is the case, any product you purchase will not be covered under warrenty.

Grand Central Music
Funky Munky Music
Capitol Gutars
David's Guitar Loft
Brookdale Music