RM100 vs. RM4 I NEED HELP!!!

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stm113

Reaction score
This is going to be a LONG post but please I need your help!

Ok so I have all but decided that I am buying either the RM4 or RM100. I currently own a Line 6 Vetta, which I never use live due to reliability concerns, so it sits around in my studio, but I love the flexibility of the amp. My live set up is as follows?

On the floor-> a case by NY Case Co. in that I have a Rocktron Midi Mate,
Digitech Whammy 4, Dunlop Zakk Wylde Wah, Boss OC-3 octave, DOD Ice Box,
And what ever dist pedal I choose at the time for just a bit of a boost (usually a MXR ZW44, DOD Juice Box or a Digitech DF-7)

All of that Runs to my Sure Wireless, into a BOSS GT-PRO which is wired where everything in the unit routed before its Loop runs into the input of my amp, and every this routed internally after its loop runs into my amp?s fx loop. This way I can put FX in the front of my amp like a lil programmed dist. For leads. -> from the GT-PRO my signal runs into a BOSS GT-3 (incase I need more fx which I sometimes do for some of the really bizarre sounds we use) then to an Audio Centron 31band Graphic EQ.
The Head I am using now is my good old Peavey 5150, which I do overall love, I mean every time I sell it I end up buying one back.

Ok so here?s what I am thinking, I have a 6 space rack with the spot for my head built into the bottom so my 1st concern is will the RM100 head fit into the case since it was made for the 5150, though heads generally don?t fluctuate that much that I couldn?t fit it in. Until this morning I was dead set on getting the head but now that I am reading about reliability issues I am concerned ( I have already retired my Line 6 from live performance due to concerns of that) So are the reliability issues that often that it should be a major concern?

The other thing I was thinking is that I could make room in my rack for the RM4 and use my 5150 as a power amp only, the bonus of that would be that I would gain the flexibility of adding a 4th module as well. My concern at that point however would be how would the unit sound in conjunction with my 5150.

Please I need any advice you could offer, you can also email me at [email protected]

I'm not sure where the reliability thing is coming from but I've never had a problem with my RM50 head after 9 months of gigging 3 weekends a month for 4-hour shows.

If you can find someone that has a RM4 locally give it a try with the 5150 power section. The problem is you'll have to ditch the GT-PRO if you only have 6 spaces. Sounds like a killer rig.

while the 5150 power section will work, its not a guarantee how good it will sound.

You might be better off with an RM4 + a VHT poweramp (if you have the cash).

in my experiences...the 5150 power section will be very clean with alot of headroom. that amp was designed to be all preamp, with as clean of power amp section as possible. that's the main reason for coming from the factory with the low bias. hope this helps.