RM50 boost

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrtatemyballs

Reaction score
Do any of you guys have the schematic or instructions on how to build the boost pedal for the RM50? I searched back to 2010. I saw a lot of people talking about it, but nothing that I can build from.

Thanks!

Interesting...I just use a Guitar Fetish Greenie and get by just fine as far as boosts go...True bypass and no mods...

I always liked the boost function in the RM20 and if that would be doable in the RM50, I would be interested in hearing more about that...

Several posts reference building a switch with a pot wired in so you can control the amount of boost.

Best I can find on google. With pics! Looks simple, and I already have a footswitch I can use.

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2465797-Questions-for-the-MTS-guys(NAD

Hey guys. Just an update. I built the volume boost switch. It took 5 minutes and it works great. I built it into an old 4 button footswitch so now switch 1 changes channels, switch 2 is empty, switch 3 is boost, and in the switch 4 spot I have a 250k pot which changes the range of boost from 0 to about 6 dB in my estimation.

It also seems to add a bit of low mids or something that fattens up single note passages. Maybe that is just a result of hitting the power tubes harder.

Anyway it works great for all you rm50 users out there. I worked off of the photo in the thread I posted above.

Thanks.
jacob

Wow. Sounds like some great results. I didnt think much of the idea of the boost. I just thought it would be a vol increase. I too want the option man!
Can you please email me the schematics? There is an email shortcut link in my profile.

BigBrewtus said:
Wow. Sounds like some great results. I didnt think much of the idea of the boost. I just thought it would be a vol increase. I too want the option man!
Can you please email me the schematics? There is an email shortcut link in my profile.

Sure thing. I forgot my kindle at home, so i don't have the file with me currently. I will get it to you this evening.

mrtatemyballs said:
Hey guys. Just an update. I built the volume boost switch. It took 5 minutes and it works great. I built it into an old 4 button footswitch so now switch 1 changes channels, switch 2 is empty, switch 3 is boost, and in the switch 4 spot I have a 250k pot which changes the range of boost from 0 to about 6 dB in my estimation.

It also seems to add a bit of low mids or something that fattens up single note passages. Maybe that is just a result of hitting the power tubes harder.

Anyway it works great for all you rm50 users out there. I worked off of the photo in the thread I posted above.

Thanks.
jacob

Glad you got it up and running quickly! I got a second Randall footswitch for my RM50 (same one as the channel switch) and used that to make the boost pedal. But I like your idea of combining them all into one box.

Also, as you may have already discovered, the amount of boost changes depending on where you have the amp's master volume set. The higher you set that, the higher you need to turn up your boost voluime pot in order to get a good volume jump.

BigBrewtus said:

Check your inbox, it should be there.

Good to know. I run my master on about 6-7 and run through a weber mass attenuator to control the actual master volume. Seems perfect with the 250k pot turned all the way up.

Thanks for the help everyone. Really happy with my RM50 so far. Can't wait to get my JF XTC!!!

WienerDog said:
mrtatemyballs said:

Thanks.
jacob

Glad you got it up and running quickly! I got a second Randall footswitch for my RM50 (same one as the channel switch) and used that to make the boost pedal. But I like your idea of combining them all into one box.

Also, as you may have already discovered, the amount of boost changes depending on where you have the amp's master volume set. The higher you set that, the higher you need to turn up your boost voluime pot in order to get a good volume jump.

A few questions for wiring in a. 250k pot..... can the pot be the same as used in guitars?
And do you just put the pot between the switch and the wires to the amp? And do you ground the 3rd lug on the pot to the back of it or leave it alone?
sorry for the stupid questions ...

Rod said:
A few questions for wiring in a. 250k pot..... can the pot be the same as used in guitars?
And do you just put the pot between the switch and the wires to the amp? And do you ground the 3rd lug on the pot to the back of it or leave it alone?
sorry for the stupid questions ...

I did not ground the 3rd lug. Any 250k pot will do, I think. I bought mine in the guitar parts section of G.C. All parts 250K pot.

Just look at the photo in the thread I linked, and wire it up just like that.

Just FYI for those interested, I can build these pedals for you. I have the first two orders inbound and will have pricing available after the first one is done in about a week or two. I want to try something on the first one before I finalize pricing. Email if interested.