Tone difference between KT88s and KTs and EL34?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
droptrd said:
you can try Bob @ eurotubes. He does his own testing after the factory tests. Bob is very tube savy and only sells the very best JJ's. I bought a set of JJ KT88's from him for my mesa DR, and they were 10 times better sounding than the set i bought previously from tube depot. And Im not really into the JJ's. If you dig the JJ's, Eurotubes is the only way to go!

It's certainly an interesting option....I have a pair of Ruby KT-88s that I think may have been made in the same factory as the JJs...the Ruby's sound better...a little more defined and less tubby in the low end.

However the Gold Lion are night and day better sounding than the JJs or the Rubys...for only an extra $20 per pair.

droptrd said:
you can try Bob @ eurotubes. He does his own testing after the factory tests. Bob is very tube savy and only sells the very best JJ's. I bought a set of JJ KT88's from him for my mesa DR, and they were 10 times better sounding than the set i bought previously from tube depot. And Im not really into the JJ's. If you dig the JJ's, Eurotubes is the only way to go!

My girlfriend wants to buy them for me for christmas....that site is very confusing. Anyone know how to navigate that site and which ones will fit my RM100? And anything extra i'll need?

tonymustang302 said:
droptrd said:

My girlfriend wants to buy them for me for christmas....that site is very confusing. Anyone know how to navigate that site and which ones will fit my RM100? And anything extra i'll need?

I bought the last set of KT88's that I was running in my RM100 from Bob. Just call or email him and tell him you want either a pair or quad of KT88's and he will hook you up.

<---just ordered the KT-88's (girlfriend gave me the cash so she wouldnt have to order them for christmas)........... OH MAN I CAN'T WAIT

What should i set the value to when dialing em in? 50mA ?

tonymustang302 said:
<---just ordered the KT-88's (girlfriend gave me the cash so she wouldnt have to order them for christmas)........... OH MAN I CAN'T WAIT

The JJ's?

50 is a good starting point...mine sounded OK anywhere 48 thru' 52..well, tbh I never went hotter.

50 ma is good but the kt-88 can run hot no problem but i wouldn't go past 58, the rm 100 kinda has a hard time with these towards the end of their life span so it may be best to keep them around 50. when one of them is about done the amp won't let you bias them where they should be the dial on the inside won't go back far enough, when you run into this do not try to force it, get rid of it and buy a new one. this is the onlt tube that has ever done this to me. i had svetlana's do it as well as eh's. i 've been an el34 basher in the past but that jj e34l is killer and cheap too.works great in this amp, better than any 6l6 for me

droptrd said:
tonymustang302 said:

The JJ's?

I bought them off eurotubes. I've read nothing but good reviews from anyone that has bought tubes from him, so i think that i'll be getting my 6l6's if these work out ok.

Bob at eurotubes is OK unless you have a problem.......I was a long time buyer from him until I had one of his E-34L's arrive to me not functioning......he was very rude and condescending.....I no longer use him.......check out dougstubes.com......Doug is way better and has a great selection of not just JJ's.....he has some great stuff....and is on the spot to help.....

Just to let everyone know, I have been online with Doug (dougstubes.com) and had him get back to me with his picks on the KT88's.

The Penta KT88SC hands down kills the JJ line or any winged C's. Ended up being a toss up between the Penta and Gold Lion's with preference going towards the Penta. Price diff is $7/tube cheaper for the Penta's as well. ($90 for matched pair)

Food for thought :) ...I think I'm getting the Penta's...Doug seemed to be a huge fan of these!

Pedro

He is! ....and very quick with the responses too! I ordered them today so I'll provide a report on them when tried :twisted:

What KT88 manufacturer is better.

I have JJ KT88s.

Some say they don't like them, others do.

I know GLs are killer but OUCH $$$.

What characteristics do they each posses and how do they differ from brand to brand?

There is a Shuguang KT88 but i havent tried it. Im not a big fan of the shuguang tubes so id say, JJ or Gold Lion

All I know is that Doug stated the Penta KT88SC are killer. Pricier than the JJ's, but less than the GL's. I should be getting them any day. I'm running them outside of the E34L's.

Doug also did mention that it's a toss up between these 2 brands, and coming from a tube guy, i'd take his word for it 8)

P

ok, the KT88's go in position 1 and 4..... thats the two outside spots on the head and then set them to 50ma? And uhhh....do i need different take out the springs so they can fit in the slot?

Pedro said:
All I know is that Doug stated the Penta KT88SC are killer. Pricier than the JJ's, but less than the GL's. I should be getting them any day. I'm running them outside of the E34L's.

Doug also did mention that it's a toss up between these 2 brands, and coming from a tube guy, i'd take his word for it 8)

P
I think those are rebranded Shuguang KT88s

droptrd said:
Pedro said:

P
I think those are rebranded Shuguang KT88s

Seriously? Wow... are Shuguang good in general? ....great...more research ! :lol:

I like the JJEL34L nice EL34 open "wall or tone" with a 6L6 punch right were it counts... keeps the lower mids tights and the upper mids and highs sweet.