Used RM4, what to check?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randallica

Reaction score
hi, if i get a used rm4 with no modules, what should i check in order to individualize and fix any problem it may have?

which tubes? which are the parts that need a look on them?

well...i think it'd be best to get a module in there, and fire the thing up. the only thing i can see the rm4 may need would be preamp tubes depending on what flavor you like...or how much the unit was used. if there is any other issues, let us know. we'll take care of you.

hello
I'd say also check each side plastic guide (the little plastic racks that allows you to guide the module inside the beast)
I purchased my used RM4 and one was missing inside... by the way I posted a topic to know where I can find another one...

also check the 2 metal frontside grips, there was one missing on my RM4... found it unscrewed in the bottom of the parcel...

ok thanx :) i hope to find one used... then i'll have to get modules, power amp and cabinet :twisted:

or the rm50 combo amp.....

this afternoon I played the RM4 for the 2nd time (I'm very busy these days...) and I admit that this preamp is very cool, I'm about to drop my CAE 3+se preamp which is one of the best preamps ever built, mega clean and crunch tones and the RM4 has passed the test 8)

I have Blackface, top boost, recto and xtc

the one dislike the most is the recto, because I owned several Mesa rectifiers and only mesa knows how to make a recto tone.

If you find a good power amp, you'll be pleased with the RM4 !

isn't the rack sound so less alive then a combo or a head and cabinet ?
it costs a lot... i don't likethe idea it will asound like a pedal box :)

well you need a good power amp to get the live tone, and a 4x12 would help.

I haven't tried the Randall RT 250 but my mesa 2:90 sounds pretty well and has cool switching features (DEEP and MODERN)

a tube head will always sound better because preamp and amp share the same trannie so it sounds more "in your face"
but preamp + good pa and 4x12 sounds as hell too.

a combo will sound tight I suppose.

but don't worry the RM4 has nothing to do with a pod :lol:

as i'll have to buy not seeing and listening in person this stuff...

i have to chose the best solution....

combo or rack
but staying in the 50W range.

yes, i'm watching them....
for you people over there it is a very good deal it it is not a blown rack :)

rack vs. head is a debate that will go on forever. personally...whatever floats your boat and handles what your need are. for an all in one package the rm100 is hard to beat. 3 channels, all tube...but heavy as :twisted: .

the rm4 give you an extra channel, and coupled witht he rt2/50 gives you tube channel switching. el34 for british sounds with 6L6's for american sounds. can't beat that...unless you play through a KH2 with 6L6's! Ha! :lol:

ok but the rm100 is a 100W monster i cannot use at home :evil: no way.
so with the RM4 and RT2/50 i could stay on the 50W power range i guess :p

i have an ESP KH2!! :)
i play metallica and metal in general with her - then a stratocaster usa for everything

the debate between 100 watts vs. 50 watts is kinda ridiculous. there is only a very slight difference in volumes between them. plus...RD/Rich mentioned you have the option to pull the 2 tubes.

i guess it's all in what you want, but when you ask for advise...we're going to give it to you. :twisted: hopefully...it's taken wisely.

i try to describe what i need.

i need the future KH modules kh1 and kh3. so i need a randall mts modular amp.

i have to stay in a 50W limit.

the rm100 is 100W. ok you can remove 2 tubes, but : 1 it's waste in my opinion;2 it't too big for home 3 costs a lot.

rm50 combo with the modules. maybe the choice for me, but it is a combo amp with its limits... then it has just 2 channels

rm4 + kh modules + rt2/50 + cab + cables + case = a dream. too expensive to buy in a single act for me LOL :evil:

so options are these 2... rack setup ( to build in 2 or 3 times ) or the rm50b combo with modules.
the last is the most realistic i guess...

i'm searching to buy the rack system used but it's hard to find these amps where i live.

I would say it's worth it to go w/ the RM100. I know that pricing may be a little different in Italy, but here in the US it's about $160 more for an extra module slot and MIDI switching.

i think you answered all your questions here.

if you get the rt2/50, it will be 100 watts in mono...which according to you is "too much" and a "waste."

the rm50b combo it is!

congrats. wait until you hear the kh2. it slays me! :twisted:

RD/Rich said:
I would say it's worth it to go w/ the RM100. I know that pricing may be a little different in Italy, but here in the US it's about $160 more for an extra module slot and MIDI switching.

so which is the procedure to follow to remove the 2 tubes in order to get less power? will the head need to be re biased?
then, is it an operation that will damage some parts like the transformer, tubes.. during time?
there are a lot of used rm100 heads in here so.... :)

Steps for pulling tubes:

1. Pull either the out side two or inside two tubes.
2. Set the impedance on the head for half of what your cab is rated at.
3. BRING THE ROCK!!!!!!! :twisted: