Is there a Randall MTS / Egnater exodus ocurring???

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JD said:
I read a comment from George's tech that he did use the Lynch Box a fair bit on the latest Lynch Mob cd...which by the way has some great guitar playing on it. Whether or not it's true, I like to believe it!

I can vouch for the fact that George is definitely using the Lynch box to record and perform 8) :lol:

84Strat said:
The MTS stuff is much better than the Line 6, Behringer & Vox modelers I have bought & sold. I have tried those thru a Tech 21 Power Engine, PA Speakers & Tube amps, but they still lacked dynamics. The Axe-FX & Digitech modelers look promising, but I'm wary after past experiences.

Apples to oranges. MTS amps are real tube amps, designed around familiar circuits and tones.

Yeah... I don't get the comparison. When I bought mine, I have never used a Line6 or even anything similar. I didn't associate the MTS line as modeling per se.... more like swappable preamps. I don't really care for solid state amps at all and digital sucks in my book. Different generation probably.

I finally got my JTM module and I am very impressed with it. It really covers 90% of everything I do in stock form. So it looks like I will stick to the Randall MTS for a little bit longer if something doesn't let me down.

Goldfish said:
84Strat said:
The MTS stuff is much better than the Line 6, Behringer & Vox modelers I have bought & sold. I have tried those thru a Tech 21 Power Engine, PA Speakers & Tube amps, but they still lacked dynamics. The Axe-FX & Digitech modelers look promising, but I'm wary after past experiences.

Apples to oranges. MTS amps are real tube amps, designed around familiar circuits and tones.

Yeah, I know it is a tube amp & I know the concept.

I have bought, sold & still have real tube amps. Point to be made was that MTS is still a modeler, but is at the top due to the all-tube design. Sound is closer to the real "modeled" amp, but the concept is still the same as Line 6 & etc.

Vince said:
Yeah... I don't get the comparison. When I bought mine, I have never used a Line6 or even anything similar. I didn't associate the MTS line as modeling per se.... more like swappable preamps. I don't really care for solid state amps at all and digital sucks in my book. Different generation probably.

What's not to get? The MTS system is still a modeler by emulating / modeling well known amp's tones in a preamp package. The advantage Randall took is the all-tube design gets closer to the real amp sound than digital or analog modeling. Groove Tubes & Seymour Duncan have produced similar amps in the past.

What different generation? I am 43 years old, so this is not my 1st rodeo. Tried lots of different variations. Some good to be found in all.

Dude... it is NOT a modeler IMO! They didn't record and program a tone generator.... get real!

You group everything together like it's all the same!

I guess my JTM45 clone is a modeler too since it is the same circuit as a Marshall JTM45? I believe it is called a clone.... modeling has nothing to do with it.

I wasn't replying to you specifically.... and yes... I am older than you! Damned GenXers..... :lol:

Vince said:
Dude... it is NOT a modeler IMO! They didn't record and program a tone generator.... get real!

You group everything together like it's all the same!

I guess my JTM45 clone is a modeler too since it is the same circuit as a Marshall JTM45? I believe it is called a clone.... modeling has nothing to do with it.

I wasn't replying to you specifically.... and yes... I am older than you! Damned GenXers..... :lol:

You are entitled to your opinion. How's that for real?

So how did I group Everything together? You are reading TOO much into it!

Did I say anything about a clone being a modeler - NO. I know what a clone is, a complete copy, not just the preamp.

Sure looked like it. You being older means?

When I said a generation thing, it was said tongue in cheek... you took it too far. Typed words rarely translate into a meaningful conversation.

Anyway... My amp doesn't model anything remotely close to a Line 6 which is 100% digital and uses a chip with a tone generator. My RM50 has a real preamp... tubes, resistors and caps! How novel.... :)

Apples and Oranges.... Yup!

Vince said:
When I said a generation thing, it was said tongue in cheek... you took it too far. Typed words rarely translate into a meaningful conversation.

This I will agree with. My apology for misreading & taking it too far.

It's all good my man. We just see it differently.... no harm no foul!

I have been following this thread and seeing posters lump MTS in with Line 6 has been bothering me. They are absolutely not the same or even similar. Maybe their goals are similar but the methods could not be farther apart.

Modelers are computer programs designed to simulate a tube amp.

MTS modules are actual circuits like you would find in any other tube amp. On most levels they are no more technically advanced than the amps they are designed to sound like. Like Vice said - more like a clone.

Randall should probably do a better job of differentiating their product from modelers.

I have owned the MTS several times as well as Line 6 stuff........
the MTS is LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Line 6. :twisted:

If you want line 6??? get a effects processor and plug it into the MTS! :wink:

I think a lot of this is the "perception is reality" syndrome. You see people selling off their gear and you think "I don't want to be stuck with a white elephant". So then you feed into the frenzy.

I am standing pat with my MTS gear and am even considering adding the RM22 to the arsenal. I just took delivery of three Salvation mods and I am super pumped to plug and play. Like Gtr George, I feel blessed to be able to own most of the modeling gear people have mentioned here: GSP1101/Control 2; Axe-Fx/Little Giant; Amplitube3; and more than my share of tube amps.

The modelres are great tools for recording and studio work, but not so friendly for a live gig. Where the MTS stuff shines for me is playing out in a band situation where you have to cover a lot of styles. Two modules, a pedalboard and you're golden.

I really wish that the new Randall management would work out a licensing transfer from Egnater to another company like Jet City. JCA is a partnership of former Crate people with Mike Soldano. They are exciting in their marketing approach and the company seems nimble and fresh.

They form side projects with interesting figures from the amp world like Andy Marshall of THD to make unique products at an affordable price. For about the price of an MTS module, you can have a JCA 20w amp head that has some killer tones. An MTS Jet City amp would totally reinvigorate the interest in the system.

Here's hoping that Randall doesn't kill off MTS and either sells off its interests, or decides to put some cash behind it.

Randall discontinued the RG50TC ?? (not sure of the number). It was a 50w EL34 amp that originally sold for $800. Musician's Friend had a blowout on them for $429. Because they were discontinued no one wanted them, and they couldn't give them away. Yet the little amp is a tone monster. I know a guy that bought one, but he wasn't satisfied with the tone so I told him to drop a Celestion Alnico Gold in it. "Wow." He said after installing the speaker. It's his gigging amp now. His Marshalls stay at home just because he hurt his back moving them the last time.

If Randall discontinued this line, I only hope I'd be able to grab the RM4 and a rack mount power amp (SS -- Rocktron Velocity 300). I'd be set here in the studio for life.

I remember always looking for discontinued stuff when I went to buy things like TVs, stereos, etc., because I could always get stuff I'd never otherwise be able to afford. Who cares if it sounds good?

Well discontinue or not, I'm buying an RM4. It's exactly what I want - a tube preamp that has 4 channels. I really have no need for more than 4 channels. And the beauty of it is...sorry, just realized I'm preeching to the choir. Anyway, I'm getting a used one next week. If they discontinue it, I'll keep it anway because I really do think it's the best tube preamp for me. I know a really good tech in Austin who has fixed 20-year-old tube amps for me before, so fixing a 2-year-old tube preamp won't even be an issue.

But yeah, I do hope Randall continues with the RM4 and the whole module thing. If they don't, maybe we can keep it alive via the modders and boards like this?

But hey, even if the RM4 is ever discontinued, there's the Egnater M2 that's not a bad price. One rack space, and so I've got to swap a module more often, it's not like I use more than two any practice session or in any recording anyway.

I never looked at this as modeling, or even cloning, but more as easy amp modification... I don't change the modules much, but the MTS allowed me to find tones I wanted and create a channel combination that lets me cover three or four channels with less compromise. My RM100 has been configured with the same three modules for a while now.

In other words, it's nice to have a three-channel amp and really like all three channels rather than have one great channel, one so-so channel, and one that rarely gets used.

The only reason I will be selling off my RM4-based rack setup and a few modules is that I don't use the rack rig anymore, and the three channels in the RM100 are plenty, given that I have the tones I really use. Reliability hasn't been an issue (touch wood), but I'll likely buy another RM100 for a backup, and leave it at that.