RM100 sounds better through 2 cabs??

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

voodoomyk

Reaction score
Hey all, I have two RM100s running JJ 6l6GCs. I have always run a composite, or "stereo", rig. On one rig I have a Salvation Mamba, and on the other a stock XTC (was a Brahma previously) I run them at the same time via an ABY switch. Have a Decimator in the effects loops of both.

Well I changed my tubes in one the other day and my goofy *** forgot to pick up more fuses for the tubes. So this evening at rehearsal I just switched the OHM selector and ran both my Randall NXTs off of my one RM100 w/ the Mamba. The tone was amazingly better. Wayyyyy more definition. I had to turn the volume up to around 1 o'clock (normally at 11), but it was incredibly tight. My noise gate didn't have to work as hard and was just overall great.

Any ideas why this is so?? I experimented by running the mamba rig through one cab, like it normally would be, and it didn't sound nearly as powerful, or clear.

Any help would be great. I would hate to have my other head and modules go to waste by just using the one.

There are many things which influence this situation, so without judging which of them is the one that gives the impact, these are possible reasons I can see:

-Running two heads requires your guitar signal to be split and isolated, if not there is a high quality splitter with isolation transformer used, the signal quality can suffer when splitting to two amps rather than running into one head.
-Two heads with different preamps and EQs can cause issues with boomyness and mushiness. Best approach with two amps is to EQ them very differently, e.g. set one amp pure for midrange, the other amp pure for bass/treble, to avoid too much of a chorus/phase cancellation effect (like two singers with the same voice singing or two singers with different voices singing)
-Two cabs have a wider spread, so usually you will hear yourself better and clearer with two over one. Two cabs also move more air than one, so indeed it should sound more powerful.

Thanks for the intel :) I never even thought about it being my ABY box. It's a cheap (used) Morely. That would really make sense because I took the ABY out of the chain and went directly from my pedalboard (ZW Wah, Maxon OD808, Morely Accu-tune) into the head.

I have always had a "1 head, 1 cab" mentality on things, so my signal has ALWAYS gone through this ABY pedal. Any suggestions on a better one?

Toadworks and Gigrig also make them.

The Lehle one seems pretty goed from what I've seen/heard.