Syn-30 - does it have the power?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoFarewell

Reaction score
Hello All,
I am a touring/recording guitar player and I am considering the Syn-30, but I don't want to be disappointed when it happens that it lacks power. I play hc/punk and metal mostly (I'd need that clean as well) - and there are some really appealing modules - but I need to know before I invest in a Syn-30 if it can take the heat. Can it deliver in a smaller club? Cheers

In the past I've gigged with a mesa 20/20, an Egnater Rebel 30 and a PRS MTS15, no issues filling a small club.
You do need at least a loud 1x12 or a 2x12. If you're reinforcing with a PA that's even better
I imagine the Syn30 would be in the same league as the MT15 given that it has 2 x 6L6.

In the past I've gigged with a mesa 20/20, an Egnater Rebel 30 and a PRS MTS15, no issues filling a small club.
You do need at least a loud 1x12 or a 2x12. If you're reinforcing with a PA that's even better
I imagine the Syn30 would be in the same league as the MT15 given that it has 2 x 6L6.
Thanks! In fact I am considering the MT15 as well, which do you think is more powerful, the MT15 or the Syn-30?

Both amps have 2x6L6, one is rated at 30w and the other at 15w (which is more like 20 I'd say).
Logic would say that the Syn-30 is more powerful, I haven't played the Syn-30 so I can't really say.

Speakers are a critical factor when it comes to loudness. Speakers with higher efficiency, or sensitivity, are louder, and the difference is often not subtle whereas the difference in volume from a 30 versus 50 watt amp is way more subtle than the numbers would lead one to expect.

Speakers are a critical factor when it comes to loudness. Speakers with higher efficiency, or sensitivity, are louder, and the difference is often not subtle whereas the difference in volume from a 30 versus 50 watt amp is way more subtle than the numbers would lead one to expect.
Speaker/cabinet Ohm rating also makes a huge difference. The difference between a 16 and 4 ohm cabinet is a major one.

For example, some 4x12 with 8 ohm speakers have a wiring switch between 4 and 16 Ohm. I did a test with a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 and at 16 Ohm you can almost max the 170 out. At 4 Ohm, going past around 11 o’clock gave ridiculous volume, that actually hurt your ears, even with the cab facing away.

Last edited:
Speaker/cabinet Ohm rating also makes a huge difference. The difference between a 16 and 4 ohm cabinet is a major one.

For example, some 4x12 with 8 ohm speakers have a wiring switch between 4 and 16 Ohm. I did a test with a Seymour Duncan PowerStage 170 and at 16 Ohm you can almost max the 170 out. At 4 Ohm, going past around 11 o’clock gave ridiculous volume, that actually hurt your ears, even with the cab facing away.
Solid State amps are different. None of what you are describIng is relevant for a tube amp like the Syn30.

Latest posts