Used RM4, what to check?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. The head room and tone will be very, very, VERY similar. The RM100 has a larger transformer than the RM50 which will lead to a SMALL tonal difference. If anything the RM100 may seem a little bigger sounding.

what scares me is the loudness of the 100W beast.
so, i could get or a 3 channel rm100 making the tubes cut :oops: or the 2 channel rm50b( combo ) or rm50hb head...

though choice :evil:

There's nothing to be scared of. The difference is 3dB, which is JUST noticeable to the human ear. The bigger difference is in the tone and clean headroom you get w/ 100 watts. I only pull tubes on mine because I play a lot of smaller gigs w/ the cover band and I like the feel and compression of 50 watts.

i say this because my marshall 40W is so loud at 1 of volume :)
so 50W would be louder, 100W will smash my room walls :)
3 channels makes me chose the rm100.
the rm50b or rm50hb is the best choice for power and price, but with 2 channels.
do i need 3 or 2channel? ....
:wink:

If your Marshall is all tube, the volume difference between that and the RM50 probably won't even be noticeable. Like I said, the difference between 50watts and 100 watts is only 3dB. That's not very much louder at all. More than likely if your amp is on one now, it will still be set to one w/ a RM100 and your neighbors will be just as pissed :lol:

As far as how many channels you need only you know. I say better have to many than to few. I'm sure if most guys could have, it they would prefer a 4 module head that holds dual modules and even then we would have to add a optional RM2 slot.

(That's actually a really good idea....hmmmmmm.)

(Guitarists everywhere scramble to send RD/Rich PM's on when the new Randall RM4100 Plus is coming out.)

:lol:

thanx for the explanations, very useful as ever :)
i'd like to get a rm100 ;) but i hope it will distort al low volumes too, both in 100W mode and with 2 tubes out

last question for you:)
is it so big the difference from the 50Wcombo rm50b and the rm50hb and single closed cab?
how much better is the head and cabinet solution compared to the combo?
i know it's better...but how much?

When I talk about clean headroom and overdrive in the difference between 50 watts and 100, I'm referring to power amp distortion. If you are only going to be using the amp on one (mostly at home), you?re not going to even really hear the power amp distortion that comes from really turning your amp up. Also, most (or pretty much ALL) of your overdrive is going to be coming from the modules. If I were you, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Personally I prefer a separate head and cab just because it's always easier to move. Also, if you are going w/ the single 1x12 the cabinet is a one piece back so it will sound a little tighter. The combo will have a little more low end just because the physical space is larger.

so i won't hear the difference at home with the 50 or 100W head atlow volumes, isnt'it?
and what about a 2x12 at home, will the 2 speakers make more noise than one?(remember i don't want to raise the volume.ok getting better the sound but i don't need to power more the volume )
how hard is to find the right amp :p

randallica...seeing all your questions and concerns...are you sure you want this amp? if being quiet is more of an importance, or having less volume...why not try the other kirk hammett signature pieces from randall. the 15 watt amps might just be 'watt' (no pun intended :lol: ) your looking for.

Hey there ,

Just thought I might make a suggestion .
perhaps an RM20 head might be a better choice if its mainly home use ,

the only downside is one module slot . however there is a seperate boost .
so load in a KH2 set it for rythm kick the boost second volume for lead .

this will also get you more saturation at lower more controlable volumes.
HOWEVER . you can still get pretty darn loud if you add a a 412 or 212 cab .
Cheers!!!!

Really nice actually. I lot of guys who purchase that amp just pick up a Blackface or Tweed module for the great clean and then pop in the onboard boost or pedal for rythm and lead sounds.

Can't comment on how he KH2 cleans up with a volume knob .

But if you use something like a Plexi .you should be able to clean it up by rolling back the volume on your guitar.

when i tried the RM20 the gain boost is like adding another stage or a tubescreamer pedal .it changes the tone (for the good ) when engaged a little tighter .

talking about the clean, i was saying that to totr31. he suggested the rm20 with 1 channel so i wrote - and the 2 clean channel? :)

If you're lookin for a clean, get the blackface, this module kills! as we say here in France : "?a dechire sa m?re!!!" :lol:
very sparkling clean.

Well in fact, it was ... it tears it's mother 8) ...don't ask me why :lol:
by the way I think the blackface is the first module to have... I'm still re-building my rack setup and I' can't wait to try the whole rig with effects...