Is my SL+ modded?

Synergy/MTS Forum

Help Support Synergy/MTS Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowardm

Reaction score
Ok, so kind of two questions into one:

1) Has this SL+ (2006) been modded at all and can anyone tell the details?
Bought this used from a member who said it was modded by David Freidman. I recently saw where someone else posted a DF modded SL+ and it was quite different from this so I wondered. The metal casing that usually goes around the tubes is missing, and therefore the only serial I have is what's written on the circuit, which is mostly rubbed off but the first two numbers are 06 (the year, if I'm correct). That tells me this module was probably before the JCM800 mod became permanent, but the user who sold it to me says DF modded it to have more distortion and clearer bass. It did come with non-stock tubes (one Mesa 12AX7-A and I forgot the other). Sorry if pics are too big, just trying to make them as big as I can and still not too huge.
002-2.jpg

004-2.jpg

2) I get a lot of squealing, which made me think the tubes were microphonic. I've tried several different tubes in both slots and still seem to get this. It's possible one of my preamp tubes in the actual RM100LB is microphonic, although I haven't even touched those and the amp really doesn't get bumped around at all. Thoughts?

Yeah, looks like an idiot modified it, certainly NOT Dave :lol: C3 isn't even the right tolerance (those caps can be used, but there's a trick to using them), the C14 looks good, but they burned up the PCB at C13 and I have no clue what the deal with that resistor/capacitor is...

I'd email that picture to Friedman...certainly looks like a copy of one of his mods...if not an original mod...don't be surprised if the soldering isn't perfect , especially if they're 'quick modded' from the top of the board.

And w.r.t. c3 ... I've seen several genuine DF mods use those capacitors....

EDIT: possible that the cap itself is causing microphonic squealing..I've had ceramics do that...not sure what type that c3 is...

Let's just say I have seen a lot of Dave's mods and worked on quite a few of them.....that certainly looks like his work. The symptoms you describe are also typical. PM me for details if you want, I'd rather not discuss it in the public eye.
Rob

I think I might have that beat, I bought an RM50 loaded with 2 modules (Recto, Ultra) the seller claimed they were professionally modded but I'm starting to doubt the "professional" part :roll:

After looking at both modules they look about like this one or possibly worse which might explain why the recto module doesn't impress me.

I have taken some pics now I just need to get the time to post them.

I'm going to post this in my 'gigmods' part of the board too... but really crappy mods bug me. So how does this sound:

For the rest of September, if you have a poorly modded module, I'll give you 15% off the price of any mods I do to it, which will include removing whatever they did and making it 'right'. I do have a few limitations as below though:

1) Offer ends at end of September. Gotta have some cutoff date.

2) I'm going to go by the honor system here - no taking a stock module and soldering a greenie capacitor across a resistor and saying you got ripped off. I'm going to trust you guys not to do this. :)

3) Offer does NOT cover modules that a modder messed up. If they cooked some potentiometers or whatever, please let me know ahead of time, I'll look at the module and give you a price. If you don't like it, I'll send the module back. It would really have to be a horrible hack job for this to apply though - most mods can be reversed fairly easily.

So, here's what you need to do:

Email me with a pic of the module (tube cage gone, so I can see the extent of the mods). Tell me what you want done to it, I'll send you shipping info and a turnaround time.

Soon afterwards, you get a module with the 'mod' removed and mine applied, a serial # sticker, and all is well with the world.

email me at okstrat (at) cox.net if you want to do this. I just hate module mods getting a bad name like this... let me fix your crippled modules :)

Pete